Course(s) Offered: Several disciplines
Course Level: Bachelors, Masters
Provider: The MasterCard Foundation
Country to Study in: Scotland
The University of Edinburgh in partnership with MasterCard Foundation is happy to offer the Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program for young people from Africa who have demonstrated academic talent so to provide them access to quality education.
The Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme supports the brightest and best African scholars with great potential but few educational opportunities. Through the generous support of the Foundation, Scholars will be provided with the opportunity to become leaders within their communities and to improve the lives of countless more when they return home to Africa.
The University of Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme will provide 80 undergraduate and 120 postgraduate African students with full scholarships over the next seven years. Students will receive comprehensive support to remove barriers to study in Edinburgh and they will benefit from extracurricular course elements including summer schools and internships to build their abilities and make a difference to their home countries and communities on their return.
The scholarship is not available to students already on programme.
The scholarship may be terminated at any time when an unsatisfactory progress report is received from the School or if the scholarship holder ceases to be registered as a full-time student at the University of Edinburgh.
The scholarships are competitive and awarded broadly on the basis of academic merit. Applicants financial, personal, and family circumstances will also be taken into account.
Applicants must also be committed to returning to Africa following their graduation to give back to their home community and country.
Citizens of African countries
Fields of study
UNDERGRADUATE: All Undergraduate programmes are sponsored.
POSTGRADUATE: Scholarships are available for the following Postgraduate Masters programmes:
- MSc Africa and International Development
- MSc Environment and Development
- MSc Global Health Policy
- LLM Human Rights
- MA Product Design
- MSc Sustainable Energy Systems
Complete duration of any programme
The scholarship will provide full scholarships, including accommodation costs, living costs, travel and tuition fees to students taking courses on campus at Edinburgh. 60 Scholars from other MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions will also benefit from participating in a number of online distance learning Masters programmes offered by the University of Edinburgh. Scholars will be provided with the opportunity to become leaders within their communities and to improve the lives of countless more when they return home to Africa.
As well as receiving an excellent education at one of the top ranked universities in the world, undergraduate Scholars will:
- Participate in UK and Africa based Summer Schools;
- Complete a course on African development;
- Engage in a volunteering project in their home country;
- Undertake a work-based placement in the UK;
- Receive support on their return to their home country; and
- Following their graduation, around 50% of our undergraduate Scholars will then be supported to complete distance learning Masters degrees after their return to Africa.
Postgraduate masters Scholars will:
- Complete six courses followed by the production of a dissertation;
- Participate in a retreat designed to nurture leadership skills;
- Attend a short Summer School; and
- Undertake an internship which will include reflective learning.
Online distance Masters Scholars will:
- Undertake a range of online distance Masters degrees which will be available to 60 Scholars from Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions
Method of Application
All applicants must apply for the scholarship first through the online application form and, if successful, will be assisted in the process of applying for admission to the University.
It is important to go through the application instructions on the official Webpage (link to it is below) for complete instructions before applying.
The last day to apply is 30th November 2018